The First 50 Years!
1934 Foundation Stone for Church and Convent laid on All Saints' Day by Bishop Hugh MacSherry.
1935 Assumption Convent blessed and opened on Assumption Day 1935.
1936 Dedication and blessing of St. Patrick's Church.
1940's Passion Mural painted on front wall of Church.
1945 First foundation of the Catholic Women's League in Port Elizabeth begins at St. Patrick's under the Spiritual leadership of Reverend Father Dahille.
1950 Church interior was repainted.
1961 Silver Jubilee - 25th Anniversary celebration held on February, 8th 1961.
1968 Dome of bell-tower struck by lightning on 2nd February 1968 at 2.00 a.m.
1971 New Presbytery built by Father Michael O'Brien.
1974 Assumption Convent and school is closed.
1977 Lourdes Grotto built and blessed in front of Church.
1980 Consecration of St. Patrick's Church on April 27th 1980 by Bishop John P. Murphy.
1981 Ascension mural painted on wall in Gallery - Choir loft.
1983 Exterior of Church painted.
1985 New lighting installed in Church.
1986 Golden Jubilee - 50th Anniversary of the dedication of St. Patrick's Church - Jubilee Year.
The Church Under Construction
Bishop Hugh MacSherry